About this Handbook
Welcome Online and Distance Learning Faculty!
The Pasadena City College Distance Education Handbook is a supplemental guide to the Pasadena City College 2011-2012 Faculty Handbook designed to provide additional information about the Pasadena Area Community College District Policy for Distance Education. This manual is organized as an online document, so as to furnish information in a navigable format that can easily allow for supplementation and revision as policies and procedures develop and change. The handbook has been developed based on the recommendations of the PCC Academic Senate Distance Education Committee.
The goals of this handbook are to:
- Articulate the mission and goals of the Distance Education Department, especially as they pertain to the Pasadena City College Educational Master Plan.
- Provide technical and pedagogical support and resources for faculty teaching online and hybrid courses.
- Furnish information about training and mentoring for online and hybrid course delivery methods.
- Inform faculty about the mandatory policies and procedures that relate to distance education courses.
- Define best practices in distance education and how those should be incorporated into course design and delivery.
- Offer comprehensive resources for ongoing faculty development.
This handbook would not have been possible without the hard work and effort of many PCC administrators, faculty and staff. The Distance Education Department would like to recognize the following members of our community and their contributions to this handbook.
- Past Academic Senate Distance Education Chairs: Professors Kay Dabelow, Sandy Haynes, Krista Goguen, and Alicia Vargas
- Distance Education Task Force, 2009-2010 (Developed DE Recommendations): Professor Sandy Haynes and Dr. Carole Robinson
- DE Board Policies Creation & Submission, 2011: Professors Krista Goguen, Alicia Vargas, and Dr. Leslie Tirapelle
- The Distance Education Department., Information Technology and Academic Affairs Management Teams
1570 East Colorado Blvd.
Pasadena, CA 91106
Fax: (626) 585-7913