About this Handbook
Welcome Online and Distance Learning Faculty!
The Pasadena City College Distance Education Handbook is a supplemental guide to the Pasadena City College 2011-2012 Faculty Handbook designed to provide additional information to support online learning on the PCC campus and to describe in detail the Pasadena Area Community College District Board Policy for Distance Education and Administrative Procedures. This manual is organized as an online document, so as to furnish information in a navigable format that can easily allow for supplementation and revision as policies and procedures develop and change. The handbook has been developed based on the recommendations of the PCC Academic Senate Distance Education Committee.
The goals of this handbook are to:
- Articulate the mission and goals of the Distance Education Department, especially as they pertain to the Pasadena City College Educational Master Plan.
- Provide technical and pedagogical support and resources for faculty teaching online and hybrid courses.
- Furnish information about training and mentoring for online and hybrid course delivery methods.
- Inform faculty about the mandatory policies and procedures that relate to distance education courses.
- Define best practices in distance education and how those should be incorporated into course design and delivery.
- Offer comprehensive resources for ongoing faculty development.
The Pasadena City College Distance Education Handbook and the Pasadena Area Community College District Policy 3230 for Distance Education were developed based on comprehensive Policy and Procedure Recommendations formulated by:
- The Distance Education Task Force (2009-2010) led by Professor Sandra C. Haynes, Chair, Distance Education Committee (2008-2013), with Dr. Carole S. Robinson, Distance Education Specialist, and the support and work of the Distance Education Committee.
- Past Academic Senate Distance Education Chairs: Alicia Vargas, Sandra C. Haynes, and Krista Goguen worked with faculty Distance Education Committee members (2009-2010).
- the Distance Education Department, Academic Deans, and the Academic Senate to finalize the college’s Distance Education Board Policies.
1570 East Colorado Blvd.
Room: LL 121
Pasadena, CA 91106
Fax: (626) 585-7913