The purpose of the Learning Management System Evaluation was to determine the best online learning environment for PCC’s students and faculty. Currently the College is using Blackboard Learn 9.1 SP7.
The evaluation was prompted by the following reasons:
- Our Blackboard contract renewal was fast approaching. The contract ends June 30, 2012.
- A college-wide survey indicated sufficient dissatisfaction with Blackboard, our current LMS, to warrant investigation of alternatives.
- Other, potentially more effective, systems are available at similar or lesser cost.
- New developments in online learning methods and technology suggest a change may be appropriate.
- We need to make the right decision for PCC’s future.
The LMS Evaluation Steering Group was formed to systematically evaluate the two highest rated systems in the faculty survey (Canvas and Moodle) plus Blackboard (SP8). Faculty across divisions were invited to participate in this evaluation team, in addition to PCC students, administrators and staff. Thirty-one people accepted the task to represent their divisions/areas.
During the Spring 2012 semester, the group evaluated vendor presentations, migrated courses in each system, and examined additional resources to determine which LMS will best serve student and faculty needs.
All processes and voting procedures were agreed upon by the Steering Group:
|FINAL VOTING RESULT||Select Canvas to start July 1, 2012|
Full Steering Group Evaluation Results
Overall Ratings (On a scale of 1-10)
Canvas — 7.8 ; Moodlerooms — 5.5 ; Blackboard — 4.5
All three vendors visited PCC to present their products. Faculty were asked to evaluate these presentations and their responses were used to inform the steering group’s final decision. The presentation evaluations were not comparative.The results represent the initial response to the product after each presentation.